Skip to main content

FLIF, the image format of the future

I'm on a kick with future predictions, so why not one about image file formats. There always seems to be a new one every week (kidding!). Let's dig into what I think will be the image format of the future - FLIF.

FLIF splash logo (credit to http://flif.info/)
Looks about right.. ?

Just another file format?

I'm sure this has been many times over, but I truly think FLIF has the potential to take over all other image file formats. Before we dig into the reasons why, let's call out that FLIF stands for Free Lossless Interchange Format. The format was created by Jon Sneyers and Pieter Wuille as described in their paper.

FLIF has been around since 2015, but since I live under a rock, I've first heard about it now. It is a lossless format, which means that you don't lose data quality as you compress images, opposed to jpegs. PNG images are lossless, which means they won't lose any quality as you compress them.

What makes FLIF great?

Taken from the official www site, FLIF does it all:
  1. Better compression than WebP, which at the time of this writing is the current-best standard. FLIF is 14% smaller than WebP.
  2. Image agnostic compression (you no longer need to think jpeg for photographs, gifs for animations, pngs for transparent images, etc.).
  3. Patent-free (we don't have to worry about nasty patents that ruin innovation and adoption).
  4. Progressive decoding.*
  5. Transparent and animated images.

*Progressive decoding is quite handy. If you do not know what progressive decoding is, it is a way of rendering the image. Instead of loading an image from top to bottom in full quality, which can result in the partial image loaded on the page, progressive decoding loads an image in its full size, then renders more image detail on the page. To see this in practice, have a look at the video below.


I would also recommend you visit the official page to view another example how FLIF outperforms our current image formats; in this example - APNG.

Browser support

Not yet, but you can try it out with the polyfill (but it doesn't look yet to be ready for production as of this writing) today. 

Comments









  1. i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346
























    hindi ako makapaniwala na kailanman ay muling makiisa ako sa aking kasintahan, labis akong na-trauma sa pananatiling nag-iisa na walang katawan na manatili sa akin at makakasama ko, ngunit napakasuwerte ako sa isang tiyak na araw upang matugunan ito malakas na spell caster na si Dr Akhere, matapos sabihin sa kanya ang tungkol sa aking sitwasyon ginawa niya ang lahat ng makataong posible upang makita na ang aking kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin, sa katunayan matapos na ihagis ang spell ang aking dating kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin ng mas mababa sa 48 oras, dumating ang dating kasintahan ko. bumalik sa pagmamakaawa sa akin na hindi na niya ako pababayaan, 3 buwan mamaya kami ay nakipag-ugnay at nag-asawa, kung nagkakaroon ka ng parehong sitwasyong ito makipag-ugnay lamang kay Dr Akhere sa kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com maraming salamat sa sir sa pagpapanumbalik ng aking dating kasintahan bumalik sa akin, ang kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com o tumawag / whatsapp: +2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  2. fix hp printer in error state status displays that there may be a problem with printer itself. Make sure printer is turned on and connected to PC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read this article and you have shared very informative article with us. I really appreciate your effort that you always provide latest update in your article. Keep it up good work. Now it's time to avail Window Installation Services In Citrus County FL for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your blog and I find it very authentic. I am enjoying reading this article. Now its time to avail limo service boise for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good herbal medicine for herpes simplex virus..

    It's a miracle product..

    Works Fast in 14 days,

    I am cured from herpes simplex,

    Email Robinsonbuckler11@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

[Fix] - ASUS PCE-AC68 adapter (no internet)

There seem to be a lot of problems with this adapter, even with such strong performance . Why so many issues? I'm not quite sure, but I needed to find a fix because I kept on losing wifi. The ASUS PCE-AC68 The fix Keeping it short - this is how I fixed the issue: Downloaded the driver for my OS from ASUS's support page -  https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEAC68/HelpDesk_Download/ (in my case it was Windows 10 64-bit). Open Device Manager by holding the Windows key and pressing R, then typing "devmgmt.msc" and hitting Enter. (Don't worry, this isn't a scam . We are simply opening Window's Device Manager through the Microsoft Management Console snap-in .) Navigate to the yellow warning sign sitting under Network adapters and right click it. Select Update driver . Select Browse my computer for driver software  and choose the following path of the OS that you have installed on your computer. (The path for the driver on my computer was C

UI redesigns are mostly a waste of time

To preface the article, I primarily work on, and prefer, back-end code. I've been involved in both web and software development for over 4 years now and worked with many front-end and back-end frameworks. New Twitter UI Before all of the UI designers that read this go out and riot and champion against me for saying UI redesigns are a waste of time, let me say that I do value design . I think at the bare minimum, a product or website needs to be usable , and if you possess a good eye and steady hand , you should feel compelled to create something that looks pleasing. David Just stop redesigning the UI all the time . UI redesigns, in my opinion, are a waste of time 95% of the time. Let me explain further. No one cares Come see our fresh new look ! What about our new  material design , come see! I'm sorry, but besides fixing the UI where it impacts the usability of your application, no one is raving about how a redesign makes the application any better.

Logging into a website with Powershell

Powershell is great, and it's lately been my go-to shell while I'm working on Windows. Sorry command prompt I really don't do a lot of work in the shell, but I do like to play with low-level interfaces from time to time. The article is about Linux shells, but goes into good explanation about what a shell is if you don't know. Log into a website Today, I wanted to do something that I have never really tried before and that is logging into a website using Powershell . The concepts behind this are quite simple really, as Powershell has support to send HTTP requests  and that's usually all we need, unless the server has CSRF protections in place (which it should). We are going to attempt  to log in to my favorite website for buying socks, Absolute Socks : Is that a turkey?! In order to do that, we need to have a login. So if you don't already have an account on www.absolutesocks.com , go make one now. Viewing the login request On websites,